You never need an occasion to whip up one of these bad boys; yet it’s elegant enough to appear on the most handsome of tables. Adapted from a Cook’s Illustrated recipe, it’s the thin by crucial layer of glaze at the end that provides all the wow factor.
1 Cup flour
½ Cup ground hazelnuts
¼ Cup icing sugar
¼ tsp salt
6 Tablespoons butter (85gm)
2 Tablespoons heavy cream
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a food processor, pulse together flour, hazelnut meal, icing sugar and salt until fine.
2. Cut butter into small pieces then add, blending in using pulse mode.
3. In a small bowl, mix heavy cream, egg yolk and vanilla together.
4. Add into mixture and use pulse mode to blend together.
5. The pastry should form into a ball.
6. Press into the bottom of a pie plate.
1 ¼ Cup heavy cream
9 ozs dark chocolate
¼ tsp salt
4 Tablespoons butter
1. Simmer heavy cream in saucepan with salt.
2. Pour over chocolate and leave for 5 minutes.
3. Stir to dissolve. Add butter and mix until smooth.
4. Mix eggs in then pour into pie crust.
5. Bake for 30 minutes at 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
4 ½ Tablespoon cream
1 ½ Tablespoon syrup
3 ozs chocolate
1 ½ Tablespoon hot water
1. In a saucepan, warm cream and syrup. Add chocolate.
2. Whisk in water until glaze is shiny and pourable.
3. Pour onto centre of pie; tilt tart to allow glaze to run to edge.
4. Refrigerate for at least until set.
Leave a Reply